“Need A Hand” recipes are for folks who need a bit of help in the kitchen.
Sour Cream Coffee Cake
Need a Hand
- 1 stick butter softened
- 1 C sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 C flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ pint sour cream
Filling/Topping (can be doubled):
- ¼ tsp sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Thoroughly grease a Bundt pan, also known as a tube pan.
- With an electric mixer (or by hand) cream the butter and sugar.
- Add the eggs and vanilla.
- Stir in flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder until just mixed.
- Fold in sour cream.
- Pour half of mixture into greased bundt pan.
For walnut filling/topping:
- Mix ¼ tsp sugar and 1 tsp cinnamon.
- Add walnuts and stir well.
- This should be a very cinnamon-y mixture.
- I really like this filling/topping so I double this part of the recipe.
- Pour half of this mixture over the coffee cake batter in pan.
- Pour the remaining batter into the pan carefully covering the walnut filling/topping.
- Top the batter with the remaining filling/topping.
- Bake for 45 minutes at 350° F.
- Check for doneness with a toothpick in the middle of the wide part of the Bundt pan.
- Remove from oven and cool completely on a wire rack on counter.
Serving suggestions: Use within three days. Freezes well.
Don’t need the extra help? See my “Confidence” version of the recipe.