“Need A Hand” recipes are for folks who need a bit of help in the kitchen.
Salsa* (Pico de Gallo)
Need A Hand
- 4-5 tomatoes on the vine (best since they have the most “TOMATO” flavor, in my opinion, choose your favorite though)
- 1 small yellow onion
- ½ fresh jalapeño (or more, depending on how spicy you like it)
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 tsp chopped cilantro
- 2 tsp fresh lime juice
- 1.5 tsp kosher salt
- Freshly cracked pepper
- Chop the tomatoes and onions into ¼ inch diced pieces.
- Place into a medium sized bowl.
- When handling the jalapeño, try to use disposable gloves, the juices get in your skin and even after washing your hands thoroughly can irritate your eyes when you touch them with your hands after cutting jalapeño.
- Dice the jalapeño into ⅛ pieces (tiny) and add to the tomato / onion mixture.
- Crush or finely chop the garlic and add to the bowl.
- The cilantro can be purchased chopped or can be freshly chopped.
- If freshly, chop now into fine bits.
- Add the cilantro, lime juice, salt and a few twists of freshly cracked pepper to the bowl.
- Gently stir to combine.
Melding the flavors:
- Cover tightly and allow to sit for anywhere from 5 minutes to overnight in the refrigerator.
Serving suggestions: Can be made ahead. Serve the same day with tortilla chips, guacamole, or your favorite dish. Refrigerate leftovers immediately. *Most consider this “fresh salsa” (“Salsa Fresco”) but it is more in line with “Pico de Gallo” (Pee koh dah guy oh)
Don’t need the extra help? See my “Confidence” version of the recipe.