“Confidence” recipes are a series of recipes for folks who have a pretty good handle on their skills in the kitchen.
Morning Glory Muffins
Servings: 24 muffins
- 1 large granny smith apple peeled and grated
- ½ Cup grated zucchini*
- ½ Cup grated yellow summer squash*
- 1 Cup grated carrots
- ½ Cup coarsely chopped pecans or walnuts
- 1 ¼ Cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 Cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 8- ounce can crushed pineapple drained
- ½ Cup shredded sweetened coconut
- ¾ Cup raisins optional
- 2 ¼ Cups all-purpose flour
- 1 TBSP ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- Cooking spray
- 24 muffin liners optional
Mixing it up:
- In a large bowl, mix the sugar and eggs until creamy.
- Add the pineapple, oil, and extract.
- Add all of the shredded fruits and vegetables, as well as the nuts.
- If using the raisins, add now.
- Stir thoroughly.
Adding the dry ingredients:
- In a separate medium bowl mix together the flour, cinnamon, baking soda and salt.
- In three parts, add the dry ingredients to the other bowl.
- Don’t over mix.
- Spray muffin tins with cooking spray, even if using liners.
- Fill cups ⅔ of the way full.
- Bake for 25 minutes at 350° F.
- Remove from oven and cool for 3 minutes on a wire rack on counter.
Serving suggestions: You can use a mini-muffin pan however this need to be done a few more times than twice. Also, cook for 15 minutes instead of 25. Store in a sealed container for up to 4 days. Freeze leftovers for up to 3 months. *If you prefer, you can use 2 Cups (in total) shredded carrots in place of the shredded zucchini, yellow summer squash, and carrots. This change would make it in line with the original recipe (see blog).
Need more help? See my “Need A Hand” version of this recipe.