“Confidence” recipes are a series of recipes for folks who have a pretty good handle on their skills in the kitchen.
- 1 chicken carcass from a 4-5 pound chicken (see Roasted Chicken recipe)
- 2 medium yellow onions unpeeled and quarterd
- ½ large head garlic unpeeled
- 3 stalks celery rinsed and quartered
- 2 medium carrots rinsed and quartered
- 2 stems fresh parsley optional, rinsed thoroughly, whole
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 TBSP Whole black peppercorns
Preparing the stock (stovetop method):
- Add chicken carcass, vegetables from roasting pan (if available), remaining giblet broth (if available), and all contents of giblet saucepan to stockpot (if available).
- Add peppercorns, bay leaves, stems of parsley with all leaves.
- Add onions, carrots, celery, garlic cloves.
- Cover with 10 Cups cold water.
- Set to cook over high heat.
- Once it reaches a boil, turn to a simmer, and allow to cook for 5-10 hours.
Preparing the stock (8 or 10 quart Instant Pot version):
- Add chicken carcass, vegetables from roasting pan (if available), remaining giblet broth (if available), and all contents of giblet saucepan to stockpot(if available).
- Add all ingredients.
- Cover with cold water until max fill line is reached in an 8 or 10 quart instant pot.
- It’s ok if the veggies and or carcass float over the line a little.
- Close the lid and set to high pressure cook for 45 minutes.
- Allow a full natural pressure release, by allowing all the steam to slowly seep out of the instant pot over time.
- Avoid doing a quick pressure release.
Finishing the stock:
- Once the stock is done cooking, it is time to very carefully strain the stock from the vegetables and other contents in the pot.
- Strain stock and discard veggies and carcass, etc.
- Allow to cool and place in storage containers, or proceed to your soup recipe.
Need more help? See my “Need A Hand” version of this recipe.