“Need A Hand” recipes are for folks who need a bit of help in the kitchen.
Need A Hand
Servings: 10 8 oz. cups
- 10 tsp tea / tea leaves* see note
- 1 tsp ginger (jarred is fine, I use dehydrated)
- 2 star anise
- 10 whole cloves
- 10 cardamom green pods crushed
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- 8 white peppercorns
- 5 C cold water
- 5 C milk any kind will do
- 2 TBSP molasses optional
- 1/3 C honey optional
- To crush your pods, either use a mortar and pestle or a bowl with the flat side of a glass.
- Measure all ingredients up to and including cold water into a 6-quart pot.
- Place on stove and over medium-high heat, bring to a boil.
- Allow to boil for 15 minutes.
- Turn heat down to medium/medium-high.
- Add milk and do not allow to boil.
- Simmer for 10 minutes then take off heat.
- Cool for 20 minutes.
- Strain using a mesh strainer (LINK TO MESH STRAINER IN GLOSSARY).
- Add molasses and honey now, if using.
- Feel free to use other sweeteners if you prefer.
- Serve immediately or store for future use.
Serving suggestions: Serve hot or cold. Refrigerate leftovers immediately. *Note: I tend to use decaffeinated tea since this can be quite strong. Also, some tea can be very fine and others very coarse. If your tea is very coarse e.g., big leaves, increase the amount of tea by 1.5-2 times. If you only have access to teabags, carefully rip open the teabags into the pot and only use 10. Including the bag can make the chai bitter.
Don’t need the extra help? See my “Confidence” version of the recipe.