“Confidence” recipes are a series of recipes for folks who have a pretty good handle on their skills in the kitchen.
Servings: 10 8 oz. servings
- 10 tsp tea / tea leaves* see note
- 1 tsp ginger (jarred is fine, I use dehydrated)
- 2 star anise
- 10 whole cloves
- 10 cardamom green pods crushed
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- 8 white peppercorns
- 5 C cold water
- 5 C milk any kind will do
- 2 TBSP molasses optional
- 1/3 C honey optional
- Measure all ingredients up to and including cold water into a 6-quart pot and bring to a boil for 15 minutes.
- Allow to boil for 15 minutes.
- Add milk simmer for 10; do not allow to boil.
- Cool for 20 minutes.
- Strain using a mesh strainer.
- Add molasses and honey now, if using.
- Feel free to use other sweeteners if you prefer.
- Serve immediately or store for future use.
Serving suggestions: Serve hot or cold. Refrigerate leftovers immediately. *Note: I tend to use decaffeinated tea, since this can be quite strong. Also, some tea can be very fine and others very coarse. If your tea is very coarse e.g., big leaves, increase the amount of tea by 1.5-2 times. If you only have access to teabags, carefully rip open the teabags into the pot and only use 10. Including the bag can make the chai bitter.
Need more help? See my “Need A Hand” version of this recipe.