“Confidence” recipes are a series of recipes for folks who have a pretty good handle on their skills in the kitchen.
- 1 ¾ Cups boiling water
- 1 Cup rolled or quick oats not instant and not steel cut (Preferred: rolled)
- 1.25 sticks (10 TBSP) butter or margarine Preferred: butter
- 1 Cup light brown sugar lightly packed
- 1 Cup white sugar
- 2 large eggs beaten well
- 1 ¾ Cups all-purpose white flour sifted
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 TBSP unsweetened cocoa powder Preferred: Hershey’s Dark
- 6 ounces ½ package chocolate chips Preferred: 60% cacao bittersweet Ghirardelli chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Add the boiling water to the oats.
- Use 2 TBSP butter or margarine to grease 13”x9” pan.
Once Oats Are Cooked:
- Add remaining 8 TBSP to oatmeal-water mixture.
- Add white sugar and brown sugar followed by beaten eggs.
- Sift together the flour, baking soda, salt, and cocoa powder.
- In three parts, add the flour/cocoa mixture to the oat mixture.
- Pour batter into prepared 13”x9” baking pan.
- Evenly sprinkle chocolate chips over top.
- Cook at 350° F for 45-55 minutes, checking after 45 minutes.
Serving suggestions: Serve warm with vanilla ice cream. Freeze leftovers for up to 3 months. Modified from https://www.almanac.com/recipe/oatmeal-chocolate-chip-cake
Need more help? See my “Need A Hand” version of the recipe.